Yes, you can use a steam cleaner on sealed hardwood floorboards, but it is not recommended for unsealed hardwood floorboards.
The reason to avoid steam cleaners on unsealed wood floors is due to the possibility that unsealed coated wood flooring can absorb moisture, causing stains, and could also produce buckles and cups when a significant amount of water is absorbed as the planks swell. Therefore, it is best to avoid using steam mop cleaners on hardwood floor surfaces that are not sealed.
How to Clean Hard Wood Floor with Steam Cleaner?
Before you begin steam cleaning your wooden floor, we have one big concern:
Check Your Wood Flooring is Sealed (Sealer Coated Applied)
Make sure the hardwood floor has a sealer coat applied. Because it adds a protective layer to prevent the liquids from coming through the material and if not, the steam from the cleaner will penetrate the wood which is not good for the floor’s health.
To clean a hardwood floor with a steam cleaner, follow these steps:
- Vacuum or sweep the floor to remove any loose dirt, dust, or debris.
- Fill the mop steam cleaner with water according to the manufacturer’s instructions, but do not fill it.
- Remember do not use cleaning solution instead employ a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub the stubborn marks.
- Use the steam cleaner without applying solutions on the floor and move it slowly in a back-and-forth motion. But don’t stay long in a single spot to not cause damage to the sealer coating.
- After steaming a small area, use a microfiber mop or cloth to wipe up the excess moisture and any dirt that has been loosened.
- Repeat this process until the entire floor has been cleaned and disinfected.
After using the steam mop cleaner, allow the floor to air dry completely before walking on it. Also, replace any furniture, you have moved for cleaning your floor.
Precautions for Using a Steam Cleaner on Wood Floor
It is necessary to not use any additional cleaning solution when using a steam mop on a wood floor. The high temperature of the steam is sufficient to effectively clean the floor. If you add any solution to the steam mop, it could damage the floor and may result in stains, even could damage to the entire wood flooring.
To use a steam mop effectively on wood flooring, do not let the stem cleaner stay at one location for a long time, it will penetrate the wood, loosening any dirt and stains, but could cause damage to the sealer coating.
If the wood floors are particularly dirty or have tough stains, you may need to use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub them after using the steam cleaner. The hot steam will soften the dirt marks, so cleaning will be much easy and this will help to loosen all stubborn dirt and stains.
What Are the Other Applications of Steam Cleaners?
In addition to cleaning wood floors, a handheld steam cleaner or portable steamer can be used to clean other surfaces in your homes, such as walls, ceilings, bathroom tiles, marble floor grouts, countertops, ovens and all kitchen appliances. It is a versatile and effective cleaning tool that can help to keep your home looking clean and fresh and help to maintain its beauty.