Does Ant Killer Harm Dogs

Does Ant Killer Harm Dogs

Ant killer is an insecticide used to control ant infestations. However, it is important to be aware that ant killers can be harmful to pets, particularly dogs and cats if ingested.

The chemicals found in ant killers, such as pyrethrins, pyrethroids, and neonicotinoids, are toxic to insects but can also cause adverse effects in pets. Symptoms of ant killer ingestion in dogs and cats may include vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, ant-killer ingestion can be fatal.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested ant killer, it is essential to contact your veterinarian immediately for treatment and advice on how to prevent further exposure. First aid, such as providing oxygen for shortness of breath or administering CPR, may also be necessary.

How to Get Rid of Ants Without Harming Pets?

There are three safe ways to get rid of ants without causing harm to your pets, such as dogs and cats. You can utilise pet-safe natural ant killers, as well as bait stations for added security and also use the risk-free homemade DIY treatments.

To keep your furry friend away from ingesting ant killer, carefully deploy ant bait stations rather than sprays or granules. It is recommended keep ant killers away from children’s play areas and from areas where your dog spends time, such as their bed or food and water bowls.

If you’re using ant killer outside, put your dog on a leash and supervise them to keep them to prevent them from coming into contact with the treated areas. If you observe your dog licking or chewing on treated plants or other materials, immediately rinse their mouth with water and notify your veterinarian.

Can Dogs Get Sick From Ant Spray?

Yes, ant spray can make dogs sick if they ingest it or come into contact with treated areas. Ant spray often contains insect-toxic compounds such as Pyrethrins, Avermectin, and Fipronil. These compounds can be dangerous to dogs if swallowed or absorbed through the skin.

If your dog consumes ant spray, he will most likely have vomiting, skin irritation, swelling, eye irritation, tremors, and breathing difficulty. You should be aware that ant sprays can penetrate the skin and cause redness, swelling, and irritation. In such cases, you should thoroughly wash their skin and fur with soap. especially the snout then contact your veterinarian for medical help.

How Can You Keep Ant Killers From Hurting Your Pets?

To prevent your dog from coming into contact with ant poisons, it’s important to keep ant killers out of reach of pets and children and avoid placing them near areas where your dog spends time, such as their bed or food and water bowls.

If you are using ant spray outdoors, it’s a good idea to keep your dog on a leash and supervise them to prevent them from coming into contact with the treated areas. If you notice your dog licking or chewing on plants or other objects that have been treated with ant spray, immediately wash their mouth out with water and contact your veterinarian.

How Long After Ant Spray is Safe for Dogs?

It’s important to keep your dog away from treated areas until the ant spray has dried completely and is no longer active. This typically takes 12-24 hours, but it can vary depending on the type of ant killer, whether its a spray, bait poison, or dust, and the surface it was applied to.

If you are using an indoor ant spray, it’s a good idea to keep your dog out of the treated area for at least 24 hours. This will give the spray time to dry and will prevent your dog from coming into contact with any residual chemicals.

If you are using an outdoor ant spray, it’s a good idea to keep your dog away from the treated area for at least 12 hours. This will give the spray time to dry and will prevent your dog from coming into contact with any residual chemicals. It’s also a good idea to wash your dogs if they come into contact with treated areas, to prevent any chemicals from being absorbed through the skin.

Pet Safe Home Remedies that Kills Ants Without Harming Dogs?

There are several remedies to kill ants without harming dogs, including the following:

Boric acid:

Boric acid is a natural insecticide that is effective at killing ants and other pests. It works by disrupting the ants’ nervous system and dehydrating them. Boric acid is safe for dogs if used according to the label instructions.

Diatomaceous earth:

Diatomaceous earth is a natural substance made from the fossilized remains of tiny aquatic organisms. It works by puncturing the ants’ exoskeletons and dehydrating them. Diatomaceous earth is safe for dogs if ingested in small amounts, but it can be irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract.

Peppermint oil:

Peppermint oil is a natural insect repellent that can be used to keep ants away from your home. It works by masking the ants’ pheromones, which they use to communicate with each other. Peppermint oil is safe for dogs if used according to the label instructions.

Lemon juice:

Lemon juice is a naturally acidic substance that can be used to kill ants and other pests. It works by disrupting the ants’ digestive system and dehydrating them. Lemon juice is safe for dogs if ingested in small amounts, but it can be irritating to the eyes and skin.

White vinegar:

White vinegar is a naturally acidic substance that can be used to kill ants and other pests. It works by disrupting the ants’ digestive system and dehydrating them. White vinegar is safe for dogs if ingested in small amounts, but it can be irritating to the eyes and skin.

These are all effective natural substances that can be used to kill ants without harming dogs. It’s important to use them safely by avoiding exposing your dogs and cats. It is best to use ant killers that come with bait stations for safety.

Conclusion

Ant killers can be dangerous to dogs and cats. So take precautions and utilise pest-safe ant killers that contain natural components or are secure within the bait station. You can place them out of reach of pets until the treated areas have completely dried and are no longer at risk of contact with residual chemicals. By taking these precautions, you can help protect your furry friend from the harmful effects of ant killers.

Jordan Foster
Jordan Foster is an experienced professional in the pest control field, having begun his journey with Pest Control and now working as a pest consultant for BestB. He has dedicated himself to ongoing training and education in the field, becoming an expert in pest management. In addition to treating a variety of pests for private households, Jordan has also worked closely with Entomologist Mr Cochrane to write helpful guides on various pests, including rodents, ants, bees, flies, and more. Although he is currently unable to take on as many jobs due to other commitments, Jordan remains committed to staying connected with the BestB and staying up to date with the latest pest control methods and behaviours. In his view, knowledge is a crucial tool in effectively addressing pest issues.