A handheld steam cleaner is a great way to clean surfaces in your home. They are easy to use and can quickly remove dirt, dust, and other debris. In this guide, we will go over the fundamentals of using a handheld steam cleaner, including its uses, benefits, and drawbacks, as well as how it works with all of the accessories.
I’m glad you asked: How To Use A Handheld Steam Cleaner? The best handheld steam cleaners are great for cleaning all sorts of surfaces around the house. But before we get into the specifics of how to use one, let’s talk a bit about what they are and how they work.
What Is A Steam Cleaner? And How Does A Hand Held Steam Cleaner Work?
Handheld steam cleaners are basically small versions of the larger machines that are used to mop the floors and carpets. They use pressurized water to create hot steam that can be used to clean surfaces efficiently without using any chemicals or detergents.
The way a handheld steam cleaner works is by heating the water until it turns to steam. This hot steam is then released out of the nozzle (accessories) and onto whatever surface you are trying to clean. The high temperature of the steam helps to break down any dirt or grime that may be on the surface, and the pressure of the steam helps to push it deep into the cracks and crevices.
Parts of Hand Held Steam Cleaners
Three main parts make a steam cleaner work.
- Tank with Boiler
- Power Supply
How To Use A Handheld Steam Cleaner Properly
To use a handheld steam cleaner you need to understand how it works, which I explain through the following steps:
- First, we need to fill the steam cleaner tank with clean water.
- To make it easy, place the steam cleaner on a flat surface and push down the unscrew the cap.
- Now position the funnel on opening, and fill the measuring cup with the given percentage of water, eg: 175ml or 220ml.
- Then pour water into the tank through the funnel and don’t overfill the tank, some space must be left in the tank for vapours.
- After that put back the safety cap and tighten it in position.
- Attach the desired accessory to the front, it can be any spray nozzle or brush.
- We need to make the steam cleaner work and make it an operational unit.
- To do this, plug the power cord into the wall outlet and wait for around 4 minutes for the steam cleaner to get ready for use.
- Some units begin to heat automatically while others need to switch on with a button.
- Notice the LED (Power indicator light) that tells you the machine is heating and when ready for usage it changes the colour.
- Now you can use the steam cleaner to start the streaming process for disinfection and sterilization.
Warning Notes (Precautions & Safety Tips):
- Do not turn on the power supply until the tank is full of water. This may cause damage to the device.
- Never overfill the tank. The mentioned water capacity is only the limit you fill up the tank, but I recommend sparing small space for steam build-up.
- Do not connect accessories while plugged in; instead, remove the steam clear from the wall outlet and then release or replace the nozzle (accessory). This step will keep you from damaging your hands.
- Do not refill the water tank of the steam cleaner while it is active and powered on; instead, remove the attached plug before refilling your steam cleaner. This is the most important precaution that all users must take.
- During operation, the tank mouth must be hermetically sealed and the safety cap tightened in place.
- An important piece of advice, Never direct steam at people, animals, or electrical products.
- Do not add anything to the tank’s water. Not a single detergent or other chemicals. This may cause dangerous fumes.
Easiest Way To Use A Handheld Steam Cleaner On Different Surfaces
The rules are simple; just mind your own business and don’t ignore the warning notes and instructions for proper safety to cover the fundamentals.
The steps for using a handheld and portable steam cleaner to clean your bathroom sink and kitchen cookware and oven are simple. Follow the listed guidelines below for help.
If you are a beginner, you will find it easy to learn with small steps:
- A steam cleaner can be used in the bathroom to clean surfaces and fixtures.
- To start, you will need to fill the steam cleaner with water. Make sure the steam cleaner is unplugged.
- Then, plug it in and wait for it to heat up. Once it is hot, you can start cleaning with desired high or low steam pressure.
- Hold the steam cleaner close to the surface you are cleaning and move it back and forth. Not to forget the use of different attachments.
- Be sure to point the nozzle of the cleaner at the surface you want to clean and hold it there for a few seconds so that the heat of the steam can loosen any dirt or grime.
- The steamer will release hot steam that will loosen dirt and debris in seconds and also sanitize and disinfect the surface all around.
- Use short, sweeping motions to clean the surface of sinks, tiles, and other surfaces from bathrooms and kitchen, and pet rooms.
- You can change the simple nozzle to a brush nozzle for kitchen counters and greasy ovens to clean and shine like new. This will need extra effort to wipe with a piece of cloth and once the steamer steam the surface.
- When you’re finished cleaning, wait for the surfaces to cool before touching them.
- Some cleaners come with a variety of attachments that can be useful for cleaning different areas; be sure to read the instructions that come with your cleaner to see what’s available.
- Some cleaners also come with a variety of tips, such as scouring pads or brushes. These can be used to clean the edges and corners of the walls, along with some other areas that may not be easily reached by the steam.
- You can also clean the shower, bathtub, and refrigerator to get rid of odours, and even de-freeze your fridge for cleaning.
- Additionally, if you have pets, a steam cleaner can be used to clean teh pet’s supplies and accessories to care for your pets.