Ben Wells is a tech enthusiast specializing in cameras and GPS devices. He has a keen interest in reviewing dashcams, navigators, and other useful car...
The method of updating your TomTom GPS is a simple and free process that can greatly benefit your travels. As a TomTom sat nav user, you are likely aware that the latest map updates are crucial for accurate routing and a smoother journey.
To get the most out of your older TomTom satellite navigation, it is important to keep both the software and map updates up to date. The process is easy and can be initiated by using one of the following apps: “TomTom Home” and “MyDrive Connect.”
On the official TomTom website, both applications are free and we need to use them to start the updating process by following the instructions below.
Updating TomTom Sat Nav with PC (Mac/Windows)
Updating the maps and software on a TomTom sat nav can be easily done by connecting it to a PC with either a Mac or Windows operating system.
When updating your TomTom GPS device, make sure your PC has an internet connection and install both TomTom Home and MyDrive Connect programmes on your computer.
These programmes are official and compatible with both Windows and Macintosh operating systems, (not Android) and the installation procedure is the standard for both platforms.
- Connect your TomTom GPS to your PC via a USB connection and launch TomTom Home or MyDrive Connect.
- If you open MyDrive Connect, it will recognise the linked GPS device; if it does not, or if you receive an error message saying “Not compatible,” close it and proceed to the next step.
- Launch the TomTom Home app on your PC and use “Add a device” feature, it will detect your TomTom GPS device.
- At this point you can uninstall the one that isn’t compatible for your sat nav.
- Now, choose the “Update my Go” option and it will ask for your TomTom account information to login.
- If you haven’t already created your account, use the “Register at MyTomTom for free” option to create yourself an account.
- As soon you’ve login, the update screen appear with many options to let you choose the updates you would like to perform.
- To keep everything up to date, tick all the boxes next to the TomTom Application, QuickGPSfix, and the latest map updates, then click “Update and install.”
- At this point, another notification screen appears, “Do no remove the SD card,” and following it.
- The program will then begin download and install the latest software and maps for your device and once completed, click “Done.”
Updating TomTom Sat Nav Without PC
Updating your sat nav without PC is possible for the latest models. Here’s how to do it:
- Make sure your TomTom sat nav is turned on and has a strong internet connection. This can be done via a Wi-Fi connection or by using a mobile data connection through your smartphone.
- Go to the main menu and select “Updates.”
- Select “Download all available updates” The sat nav will check for any available updates and begin downloading them.
- Once the download is complete, select “Install all updates” and restart to finish the process.
Factory Reset TomTom Sat Nav When Updates Fails
When you encounter an issue while updating your TomTom sat nav, try restarting your device and trying again.
If you’re still experiencing problems, it’s possible that your old TomTom sat nav need to factory reset.
We have two options to factory reset your TomTom GPS and get it back up and running.
Force Factory Reset TomTom Sat Nav
- Connect your TomTom GPS to the charger.
- Press and hold the On/Off button until your device restarts. Keep the button pressed until you hear the drums, then release it.
- This can take more than 15 seconds, and it will factory reset your sat nav.
- Once it has been done, the given “TomTom Home” and “MyDrive Connect,” will work to help you go through the standard update process.
Old TomTom Sat Nav Factory Reset (Software)
- Tap Settings in the Main Menu
- Scroll to the end and select “Reset factory settings.”
- A warning screen appears to confirm and proceed with Reset process.
- Your device resets and restarts.
- Then select your language and preferred settings to connect with GPS signal.
- Once resets, you can try updating your TomTom sat nav again.
With both of these methods, you should be able to get your TomTom sat nav working again and take advantage of the latest software and map updates.
Tips for Trouble Free Updating Your TomTom Sat Nav
- Make sure you have a good internet connection when updating your sat nav.
- Charge your device for at least 2 hours before trying to reset and update.
- Always use the official TomTom website to download the update software for PC.
- Keep your sat nav charged before the update process and do not interrupt during the process.
Updating your TomTom GPS device is crucial for ensuring its proper functioning and access to the latest maps and features. This can also improve its battery life, making it more convenient for home delivery services. The process of updating, whether done via PC or not, is easy to follow with only a few steps. To ensure a smooth experience, ensure a strong internet connection, use the official TomTom website for downloads, and keep your device charged during the process.